Wocl Leydon, LLC
Contact us for a free consultation
203-333-3339 New Clients / Existing Clients

How do I file a medical malpractice claim in Connecticut?

When the unthinkable occurs, and you or someone you love suffers due to the mistake of a medical professional, it can be difficult to know how to proceed. Most people don’t know precisely how to go about filing a medical malpractice claim or the steps involved in doing so. Here in Connecticut and elsewhere, there are some basic guidelines that may be helpful.

The first thing to try is to contact the caregiver that was involved in the incident. In some cases, the doctor might be able to resolve the situation to your satisfaction. It will help you to understand exactly what occurred that resulted in the injury to you or your loved one. If the situation is not resolved, getting in touch with the board that manages medical licensing may lead to appropriate disciplinary action concerning the professional with whom you have the dispute.

Research precisely how long you have to file a medical malpractice claim. This is commonly referred to as the “statute of limitations” and means that if a claim is not filed within a specific time period from when the incident occurred, you could lose the right to pursue litigation against the provider deemed negligent. Next is obtaining a certificate of merit, which Connecticut requires, though some other states do not. It is issued after contacting another medical expert who will review the incident and determine whether the medical provider in your case provided the proper standard of care.

After these steps occur, a case may be brought to court. The medical malpractice claim could be bolstered by making sure all of these steps are followed properly. 

Source: findlaw.com, "First Steps in a Medical Malpractice Case," Aug. 1, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Wocl Leydon, LLC is a law firm experienced in handling wrongful death, medical malpractice, auto accidents, fall down claims, nursing home negligence and abuse, car crash and motor vehicle collision lawsuits. The personal injury trial lawyers handle cases throughout Fairfield County. If you have been seriously injured in Stamford, Norwalk, Fairfield, Bridgeport, or anywhere in Connecticut, please call one of our litigation attorneys at 203-333-3339, or email the firm to schedule a free consultation.

Email Us For a Response
Wocl Leydon, LLC

We maintain offices in the cities of Stamford and Bridgeport, and we represent clients throughout the state of Connecticut.

Bridgeport Office 1087 Broad Street 4th Floor Bridgeport, CT 06604 Phone: 203-517-0456 Phone: 203-333-3339 Map & Directions

Stamford Office 80 Fourth Street Stamford, CT 06905 Phone: 203-517-0456 Phone: 203-333-3339 Fax: 203-324-1407 Map & Directions

The sooner you arrange a free consultation with us, the sooner you will understand all of the options available to you. Contact us today to receive information and advice directly from our experienced attorneys.