Happy Valentine’s Day and Happy Heart Health Month! The Team at Wocl Leydon would like to encourage you and your family to celebrate Valentine’s Day with more than just giving cards, roses and chocolates. We’d like to help you give the gift of a long and healthy life! To help you do this we’ve pulled together some important information:
- Spread the word about strategies for preventing heart disease and encourage people to live heart healthy lives.
- Encourage families to make small changes.
- Motivate teachers/administrators to make physical activity part of the school day.
- Ask doctors and nurses to speak out about ways to prevent heart disease.
- Host a community event to promote heart health.
- Eat healthy fats, NOT trans fats – Trans-fats clog your arteries by raising your bad cholesterol levels (LDL) and lowering your good cholesterol levels (HDL).
- Don’t sit for too long at one time. Research has shown that sitting for long periods of time is bad for your health no matter how much exercise you do.
- Practice good dental hygiene. Floss your teeth daily. Dental health is a good indication of overall health.
- Get enough sleep. Lack of sleep can cause a higher risk for cardiovascular disease regardless of age or other health habits.
- Avoid secondhand smoke and keep children away from secondhand smoke, period.
The Wocl Leydon Family hopes that you take time today to show love to the special people in your life and also make time every day to show yourself some love to help create a healthier life. You will feel better and your family and friends will enjoy having you in their lives for many years to come!