One thing that a patient would certainly never expect to have happen during a surgery is to have a fire accidentally started inside of them. Recently, in another state, a medical malpractice case involving allegations of this bizarre type of surgical occurrence reached its conclusion.
The case involved a woman from Washington who underwent a laser surgery on her throat in February 2012. The surgery was aimed at removing some polyps. The woman alleged that negligence occurred during this surgery which resulted in a fire starting in her throat. After the surgery, the woman no longer had the ability to speak.
A medical malpractice lawsuit was brought by the woman in relation to the laser surgery. The woman reached a settlement with one of the defendants in the lawsuit. Then, in a recent verdict, a jury issued a monetary award for the woman against other defendants.
Laser surgeries are becoming increasingly prevalent here in Connecticut and in the rest of the nation. As these surgeries become more and more common, there are some important questions to consider in relation to them, such as: are medical professionals and hospitals taking enough steps to ensure that errors do not occur during these surgeries?
Mistakes during laser surgeries can cause a wide variety of harms. Most of these harms aren’t quite as dramatic as a fire starting in a person’s body, but this makes them no less impactful.
Regardless of type of surgery, surgical patients have the right to a surgery free of negligent errors and they shouldn’t have to suffer any type of harm because a hospital or a medical professional failed to provide the level of care that they should have in relation to a surgical procedure.
Source: Yakima Herald, “Woman awarded $30 million in malpractice suit,” K.C. Mehaffey, Dec. 7, 2013