Sometimes, medical devices are installed inside of patients. It is very important for medical professionals and medical facilities to act properly when installing or removing such devices. When a medical professional or medical facility acts negligently while putting a medical device in a patient or taking such a device out of a patient, it can result in a patient getting significantly harmed. Such medical negligence can sometimes even have life-threatening consequences for a patient.
Recently, a case has arisen in Rhode Island involving allegations that negligence occurred during the removal of a medical device.
The case involves a woman who had a device called a port installed inside of her while she was battling breast cancer. The device was later removed. The installation and removal surgeries were performed at a hospital in Rhode Island.
The woman has alleged that negligence occurred during the course of the removal surgery and that this negligence resulted in a piece of the port being mistakenly left inside of her.
Four years after the removal surgery, the presence of this piece of the port was detected.
The piece reportedly has become attached to the woman’s jugular vein. Reportedly, the woman’s life could be at risk if the piece is allowed to remain in this position. However, getting the piece surgically removed could also reportedly be life-threatening for the woman.
Thus, according to the woman, the alleged negligence has led to her facing a terrifying catch-22. The woman reportedly has decided to not have the piece surgically removed.
A medical malpractice lawsuit has been brought by the woman in connection to the above-mentioned allegations. The above-mentioned hospital, a doctor and a physician’s assistant have been named as defendants in this lawsuit.
As the allegations in this case underscore, device-related negligence by medical professionals can cause great harm to patients. Thus, one hopes that all medical professionals make sure to avoid engaging in negligence like that alleged in this case. No patient should have to be exposed to such medical errors.
Source: NBC 10, “I-Team: Woman sues hospital over device left in body,” Parker Gavigan, June 7, 2013