Can I Sue the State or Local Government for My Injuries?

In some cases, you can sue a local government or municipality for injuries you sustain due to their negligence. However, these lawsuits can get complicated fast and require the help of an experienced lawyer.

In most municipal premises liability cases, you will be required to make a “notice of inquiry” statement in writing before you are allowed to file a lawsuit.

A notice of inquiry in Connecticut will follow the individual statute detailing the particular type of claim (these statutes exist for potholes, damaged sidewalks, etc.). Generally, the required details include:

  • A written statement of the accident
  • Time, date, and location of accident
  • A written description of injuries

These notices of claims often have short time limitations, so you should get the help of an experienced attorney as soon as possible after your accident to make sure that your claim is complete and properly submitted.

How to Prove Liability

In order to prove liability in a municipal premises liability case, you must show:

  • A defect was present in the roadway, sidewalk or other municipality-controlled location of your injury.
  • The municipality knew about the defect.
  • The municipality did not make proper repairs to the defect.
  • The defect was the cause of the accident that resulted in your injuries.

For you to prevail in a case against the state or local government for a pothole damage claim, uneven pavement injuries or other personal injuries, all four of these factors must be present. Because this can be a tricky topic, it is always helpful to get the help of an experienced attorney in your claim.

How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?

In Connecticut, you have 90 days to file a notice of inquiry for injuries. If the area where your accident occurred is maintained by a municipality, the time limit for filing your claim may be different.

At Wocl Leydon, we know and understand the laws that exist to protect our clients and we will be happy to discuss the specifics of your claim.

How Can Wocl Leydon Help Me with a Municipal Premises Liability Claim?

At Wocl Leydon, we are lawyers who sue municipalities because we believe that the residents of and visitors to our communities must be our top priority. Here at our firm, you will be treated like family because what happened to you could happen to anyone.

We will fight diligently for your rights and we are not afraid to stand up to the state government of Connecticut or any municipality here in our state that should protect your safety. Do not settle for anything less than the compensation you deserve for your injuries.

Contact us to start your free consultation now.

Wocl Leydon, LLC
When you need support the most, our lawyers treat you like family.

When you call Wocl Leydon, you talk to a knowledgeable attorney right from the start. You don’t go through a long screening process. You aren’t handed off to a paralegal. Our firm makes it a priority to establish a strong attorney-client bond starting with your first call.