Wrong Dosage of a Drug Could Have Been Dangerous for Little Boy

Parents trust health care providers to care for their children. The vast majority of caregivers here in Connecticut have each child’s best interest at heart and would never do anything to deliberately harm them. However, people are not infallible, and mistakes can happen. One out-of-state mom says that someone gave her child the wrong dosage of a drug he takes, and the consequences could have been disastrous.

The incident occurred when the little boy was given medicine that he takes on a daily basis at school for treatment of ADHD. The boy told his mother later that the pill was a different color than what he was used to taking, and he even questioned the person who gave it to him. He took the pill and later went home with heart palpitations. His mother then rushed him to a nearby ER where doctors discovered the levels of the drug in his system were much higher than they should have been. They deduced that he must have been given a dosage that was double what he is prescribed.

The school is investigating who gave the little boy the medication — they say that the school nurse treats multiple schools, and other employees help her administer medication. It is not clear whether that person was properly trained. Luckily, the little boy seems to have suffered no adverse side effects, but that doesn’t mean that the school should not examine their system. Another mistake could result in serious health complications or even a fatality.

The wrong dosage of a drug can have serious consequences. An adult usually has the courage to stand up for themselves if they feel that a medical professional is incorrect, but children are often taught to obey adults and may not feel comfortable speaking up. Even though this happened out of state, it could easily happen here in Connecticut. If it did, a family may make the decision to file a medical malpractice claim against those responsible in the hopes of recouping any additional medical costs. Hopefully, no family will ever have to endure that heartbreak.

Source: arkansasmatters.com, NLR Mom: Son Given Wrong Medication at School Lands in ER, Drew Petrimoulx, Jan. 22, 2014