Stamford Car Accident Attorneys
Car accidents can have a severe impact on your health and financial future, leaving you wondering what the future holds. You may have questions about how you will pay for the unexpected expenses associated with the crash and what compensation you could be entitled to recover from the at-fault driver.
At times like these, it’s important to remember that an experienced car accident trial lawyer can help you pursue the full and fair compensation that you deserve.
At Wocl Leydon, our car accident lawyers are ready to help those who have been injured on the road. As one of the most respected personal injury firms in the state, our lawyers have been recognized by Connecticut Super Lawyers®, New England Super Lawyers®, Million Dollar Advocates Forum, among others. In every car accident case, we use our experience, our knowledge, and our resources to fight for our clients and their recovery.
How Our Stamford Car Accident Attorneys Can Help You
Our accomplished car accident lawyers are focused on helping people who have been hurt in crashes that were not their fault. Our lawyers have handled cases across the state. We are prepared to help at every step of your claim.
The car accident lawyers at Wocl Leydon can:
- Examine the evidence find all responsible parties. After a car accident, including rear ending, head on collisions, and t-bones, you may be shaken and wondering what happened. You may have an idea of what caused the crash, or it may have happened so fast that no one is entirely sure what happened. It could have been driver error, a driver distraction, an equipment failure, poor signage, a drunk driver, a driver texting while driving, cellphone use, or many other causes. Our lawyers will work with authorities and experts to figure out what occurred in your accident and who is responsible.
- Calculate the full extent of your losses. After an accident, you may be severely injured. Our car accident lawyers will evaluate your injuries and help determine how your accident has altered your life and the lives of those you love. Our attorneys will work with you to understand how your injuries may impact your compensation.
- Negotiate with insurance companies and those responsible. In many cases, insurance companies and those at fault will want to settle before trial. However, these negotiations can be highly technical and challenging. Insurance companies will need to review all the supporting documents for your claim, and they will use experienced defense attorneys who want to pay out as little as possible. Our lawyers have handled car accident negotiations across the state for decades and we will use our knowledge, skill, and resources to fight for you every step of the way.
- Zealously fight for you in court. In some cases, our trial lawyers may have to file a lawsuit and try your case. A trial is built on careful documentation of your accident and in-depth legal arguments. It’s critical to have an experienced trial lawyer in your corner. Our car accident lawyers will prepare everything your case needs and advocate for you throughout the process.
A Stamford Car Accident Lawyer Can Get You Compensation
After a car accident in Stamford, you may be permitted to claim many types of damages including economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages. It’s also important to remember that Connecticut uses a comparative fault system for calculating damages, meaning that car accident damages may be reduced by the percentage of negligence attributed to the injured driver involved in the collision.
Here are some of the losses you may be entitled to recover:
- Economic damages are damages that are easy to put a number on. For example, medical bills and lost wages are considered economic damages because the other side can calculate how much medical treatment cost or how many days you missed from work. Economic damages may include:
- Medical treatment. Medical treatment after an accident can be costly. Broken bones, internal injuries, whiplash, and head injuries require emergency treatment to correct. Some injuries may require extensive therapy and treatment for years after the accident. A car accident claim may include the cost of any past or future medical treatment related to your injuries.
- Lost wages and lost future opportunities. A car accident may put you out of work for a while, and it may limit your future earning potential. Some victims are never able to work again. When an accident damages your ability to earn, now or in the future, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Non-economic damages are harder to calculate. For example, physical pain and mental suffering are very real injuries that can adversely impact the quality of a victim’s life, but it’s difficult to say exactly what their impact is in terms of compensation. Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering. A car accident can cause lasting problems for victims. This may include severe physical pain and serious mental anguish that can harm a victim’s quality of life. A car accident claim may include damages for the pain and suffering that a victim experiences as a result of their injuries.
- Disfigurement and impairment. After an accident, victims may have injuries that cannot be fully healed. Victims can be left with disfigurement and scarring that can permanently impact their quality of life and impair their enjoyment in the future. After a car accident, it may be possible to recover damages for these injuries.
- Punitive damages are a type of damages that may apply in situations where the responsible party’s conduct was deliberate or exceptionally reckless. Courts use these damages to punish behavior and to send a message to others. In Connecticut, punitive damages depend on the facts of the case, and may be double or triple the amount of other damages awarded in certain circumstances.
It’s important to note that Connecticut uses a type of comparative negligence rule when determining compensation after a car accident. The plaintiff cannot be more than 50% at fault for the accident, otherwise, they cannot recover. Even if the plaintiff can recover, the amount of damages will be reduced by the percentage of negligence the plaintiff was at fault. Our experienced car accident lawyers can review your case and help you understand what damages you may be able to recover.
Most Dangerous Intersections in Stamford, CT
For the most part the intersections are located in and around the downtown area. In most cases, they are close to Interstate-95, that is usually packed with traffic coming and going to and from NYC. And, this number will only increase as the population of Stamford continues to rise. The city’s worst intersections?
- Washington Boulevard at Tresser Boulevard
- Sumner and Broad
- Elm Street at North State Street
- Atlantic at South State Street
- Broad Street at Grove Street
- East Main Street At Glenbrook Road
- Long Ridge Road at Cold Spring Road
- Tresser Boulevard at Canal Street
How Long Do You Have to File a Car Accident Claim in Stamford Connecticut?
After a car accident, victims have two years after the accident to file a claim for compensation. The same period applies for both personal injuries and property damage. However, if someone suffers a wrongful death, the two-year time limit starts to run on the date of the victim’s death from their injuries.
These time limits are known as a “statute of limitations” and courts strictly enforce them with few exceptions. If you need to file a car accident claim, get your claim started as soon as you can. It takes time to develop a case and to pursue the recovery you need. When you start your claim soon after an accident, you’re helping yourself, and you’re giving your lawyer the time they need to prepare your claim.