Stamford Types of Car Accidents
Last updated Tuesday, November 21st, 2023
Were you injured in a Stamford car accident? If so, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other accident-related losses. Unfortunately, determining who was at fault is considerably more challenging in some types of accident cases than in others.
At the law firm of Wocl Leydon, our knowledgeable car accident lawyers have extensive experience with cases involving all types of wrecks. To learn more about common Stamford car accidents and how we can support your claim, contact us for your free initial consultation.
Common Types of Auto Accidents
When drivers or other road users are negligent, any of the following types of auto accidents may occur:
- Rear-end collisions – A rear-end collision happens when the front end of one vehicle crashes into the rear end of the car in front of it. Many rear-end collisions occur when negligent drivers tailgate or follow too closely behind others, but some are also caused by aggressive “brake checking” maneuvers or failure to merge into new lanes safely.
- Head-on crashes – A head-on collision occurs when two vehicles collide front-to-front. This devastatingly dangerous type of accident can happen when a distracted, intoxicated, or drowsy driver drifts into lanes of oncoming traffic. Head-on collisions also commonly occur at intersections when one or more drivers fail to yield the proper right of way.
- Sideswipe accidents – Sideswipe accidents occur when the sides of two vehicles traveling in the same direction or opposite direction “swipe” against one another. Sideswipe collisions tend to be relatively minor at low speeds, but a high-speed sideswipe can easily lead to both vehicles spinning out of control and causing additional damage.
- T-bone crashes – A T-bone crash happens when the front end of one vehicle runs into the side of another car, resulting in a T-shaped collision. These accidents, also known as “broadside,” “right angle,” or “side-impact” accidents, frequently occur at intersections when negligent drivers fail to yield or run red lights or stop signs.
- Backing-up accidents – A backing-up accident occurs when the rear end of a vehicle coming out of a parking space, garage, or driveway collides with another road user going by. Backing-up accidents tend to happen at relatively slow speeds but can still result in serious injuries, especially to passing cyclists or pedestrians.
- Rollover accidents – A rollover accident happens when a vehicle tips and rolls over onto one side or roof. Rollovers are some of the most dangerous accidents and tend to have tragically high rates of severe injuries and fatalities. Rollover accidents can involve just a single vehicle but also frequently occur as a result of a multi-car wreck.
- Hit-and-run accidents – When a driver fails to stop at or immediately return to the crash scene, the accident is considered a hit-and-run.
Types of Injuries in Different Kinds of Car Accidents
According to the University of Connecticut’s Crash Data Repository, 83,734 accidents occurred throughout the state in a single recent year. Of those accidents, 3,433, or 4 percent, occurred in Stamford. Additionally, nearly one in every five Stamford accidents that year resulted in possible, minor, or serious injuries.
Here are some of the most common types of injuries in Stamford car accidents:
- Facial injuries – Injuries to the face, jaw, and teeth are frequently caused by broken glass, blunt-force impacts, and contact with hard or rough surfaces. Head-on collisions, T-bone accidents, and rollovers often result in these kinds of facial trauma.
- Traumatic brain injuries – A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is caused by a violent blow, jolt, or puncture wound to the head. Nearly any type of accident can cause a TBI, the consequences of which can range from relatively minor concussions to permanent brain damage or even death.
- Neck and back injuries – Neck and back injuries, such as whiplash or herniated discs, are often the result of pulling, twisting, jolting, or crushing forces in car accidents. Many victims of rear-end collisions, T-bone crashes, backing up accidents, and rollovers sustain injuries to the neck and back.
- Spinal cord injuries – Spinal cord injuries, which can result in partial or total paralysis below the injury site, occur when the spinal cord is compressed or torn. The same types of accidents that result in back and neck injuries can cause dangerous trauma to the spinal cord.
- Bone fractures – The extreme force of two vehicles colliding, even at relatively low speeds, can dislocate, fracture, or even shatter bones in almost any type of car accident.
- Soft tissue injuries – Soft tissue injuries such as strains, sprains, and tears are some of the most common injuries in all types of car accidents. A forceful impact from any angle can result in painful bruising, twisting, or shearing of muscles, ligaments, and tendons.
- Amputations – Loss of limb and other amputation injuries are rare but still occur in particularly serious or high-speed accidents. Victims of head-on collisions, T-bone wrecks, and rollovers are at risk for traumatic amputations.
- Burns – Serious burn injuries occur when accident victims are exposed to fire, scalding fluids, steam, caustic chemicals, or even rough surfaces like the road. These injuries may happen as a result of any accident violent enough to rupture a fuel system, eject an occupant from a vehicle, or otherwise subject the body to heat.
How Our Car Accident Lawyers Can Help You
If you were injured in a car accident in Stamford, CT, the trusted attorneys of Wocl Leydon, LLC, can help you recover by:
- Evaluating your case and explaining your legal options in a free consultation
- Conducting an independent, thorough investigation into the accident to uncover valuable evidence for your case
- Determining who was responsible for the accident and how much compensation you could be owed
- Interviewing eyewitnesses and working with expert witnesses to obtain helpful supporting testimony
- Communicating with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf
- Negotiating aggressively to maximize your settlement and taking your case to court, if necessary
Talk to a Stamford Car Crash Lawyer Now
If you were involved in a Stamford car crash, you need help from an experienced attorney who won’t rest until you get the recovery you deserve. You need help from Wocl Leydon, LLC. Contact our dedicated team today for more details in a free initial case review.